Wednesday, 13 September 2017

WOYWW 432 - I now have Distress Oxides in my life

Good morning to everyone.  I was missing last week, as when it came to Wednesday morning I just didn't have the energy to sit down and type a post.  I have had a stressful few weeks - and last Monday 4th September my two ponies were put to sleep.  They were both struggling with health issues and I knew that none of us could cope with another winter.  Now that I am not having to go out on the yard for mucking out/lifting heavy hay etc, I cannot imagine how I coped for so long.

Here they are (my last photo of them; taken earlier in the summer) -


I am not one to sit about and be bored, so I have filled my extra time with more seriously concentrating on learning Spanish (ready for our planned purchase of a property there) and getting our house in order.  There is still lots of decluttering/spring cleaning to be done, but slowly I can see progress.

Crafting is still my main way of distracting myself and I went to another workshop last week.  This one was an Introduction to Mixed Media, and we made a tag using Distress Oxides.  I had been thinking of trying some for a while, but had been resisting making any purchases until I knew that I would really use them.  I enjoyed the class so much that I came home with two of my favourite colours!


In the photo (taken quickly this morning whilst it is still dark - and we have the heating on now, so it is definitely autumn!) you can see the finished tag (although I want to add some more vivid colour to the butterflies, and perhaps some sparkle), the Distress Oxides ready for some action, a paperbag that an ATC came in, along with an ATC-sized diecut (thought I could make an ATC out of both of those), some A3 collages that I made from magazine cuttings at an art group a couple of years ago, which I have folded to make covers for future journal projects, and some Etsy shopping (washi tapes and a truly gorgeous planner charm, which I hope to attach to my new Journaling Bible when I have it).

Looking out of the window as it gets lighter slowly, it looks like the worst of Storm Aileen has passed over Pembrokeshire.  We went to Barry yesterday to visit family and had lovely sunshine there.  It started raining just as we got home at 5 pm, and by the evening it was very windy.  Will venture out later and see how many branches are down in the roads.

I hope that everyone is safe after all of the horrible global weather we have had in the past few weeks.

If you want to join in with the mid-week tour of crafty workspaces, trot along to Julia's Stamping Ground.

Ali x

23 comments:

  1. I have lived permanently in Spain for nearly 20 years and enjoy every moment of life here, good luck with your Spanish I have never mastered the language but get by. Where are you thinking of buying? So sorry to hear about your ponies, they will have left an emptiness as they take such a load of care time. Anickoana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to be staying in Moraira - and looking at any of the areas between there and Valencia. The Jalon Valley looks wonderful and I have seen some possible apartments.

      Delete
  2. sorry about the ponies, but it sounds as if it was for the best - all round. The wind from storm Aileen woke me in the night blowing my bins about, but seemingly no damage here i can see. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting. You tag is beautiful..lovely colors and a gorgeous butterfly. Mother nature sure has been upset, things have calmed a bit in Florida and Texas, but will be years in clean up. Water damage is the worst. Good luck with all you new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about your ponies.They must have become like members of your family.
    Glad you have been able to do some crafting.I haven't got any oxidesd yet.I have been de-stashing myself. it feels good to have less and use what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ali, we had the most tremendous gales here in the Midlands overnight. They seem to have passed over now though. If you want a recommendation for a really good White EP, try the WOW! Embossing Powders Opaque Bright White. It's definitely the whitest I've found, and I've tried a few!Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #6 XxX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, so sorry about your lovely ponies, however right, it's the hardest decision isn't it. I suspect that your poor body will benefit from less physical work too, and maybe the odd lie in! I have always said that a workshop is just the best way to try a product before committing, specially as nothing is very cheap these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your ponies. Sending gentle hugs to you.
    It has been blowing like crazy here and the rain is coming down still - in bucketfuls.
    Good luck with the Spanish, how lovely to have something like that to look forward to - a property in Spain. Is this a holiday or permanent buy?
    Enjoy the Oxides, verdict is still out with me.
    Hugs & thanks for the visit to mine, Neet 10 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We plan to get a small apartment for regular holidays to start with - and rent it out when we are not using it. Once we know for sure that we prefer the Spanish sun to the UK weather(!!) and decide on which part of Spain is for us, then it could be a more permanent move.

      Delete
  8. That must have been a hard decision re your ponies, but their welfare is paramount and it would have been harder to let them carry on. Sending hugs xx
    Are you just thinking of a holiday apartment in Spain or moving there permanently? Exciting times, good luck with the Spanish lingo
    The wool/quilting shop is called A Good Yarn and is in Pontarddulais, it's not massive but is worth supporting...next door is an amazing hat shop, very chatty owner and incredibly OTT hats :-D
    Hugs LLJ 4 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely need to get to Lampeter one day. The fabric/haberdashery shop there is amazing. Yes, holiday apartment in Spain to start with. Who knows what the future brings.

      Delete
  9. Hi Ali, hope you came through Aileen OK; we managed to avoid the worst of it here. Sorry about your ponies. You will definitely enjoy the oxides, just a tip though; they don't work well on a glass mat for spritzing and dragging card through, much better on a craft mat or blending mat. Buena suerte aprendiendo español. Sarah #26

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. Only tried on a craft mat so far, so will avoid my glass mat. Muchas gracias. Necesito toda la ayuda que pueda obtener!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful oxide tag!! I too, succumbed this summer to Oxides, and bought 3. I'm sure more are in my future, and yours as well! Have a great week, thanks for sharing, Lindart #31

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ali. Late visiting as I have just taken the mum and son of the lady who died out for the day. A lovely time reminiscing, weeping, laughing, viewing mountains and sea... I was sorry to hear about your cousin. She did indeed live to a good age. The photo of your ponies is a wonderful memory for you; something to look at when you feel like a good remember-time! Haven't tried distress oxides - I await your thoughts over the weeks.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #2

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, used to have a horse for 22 years. I got him as a baby when his mamma died, raised and trained him, and had to put him down due to health issues. After 20+ years I still miss him so my heart just breaks for you. Your tag is gorgeous. Have fun with your Oxides! Happy WOYWW!
    Carol N #27

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about your ponies... your tag is amazing... the design & colors are perfect... Love it.... Keep safe... May #15

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ali, sorry to hear about your ponies. That must still be a tough decision, even when it is the best for them. I've not invested in Oxides yet ... still looking at what people are making, and your tag is gorgeous. Have a lovely week, Heather #30

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous tag, bet you had a great time at the workshop. I just so love Oxides. Sorry to hear about the ponies but sometimes it has to be done. Have a great woyww and happy crafting, Angela x16x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry you've had such a stressful time. The decision to let your ponies go must have been hard.
    I'm glad you are able to get on with things. Hope things improve from now on.
    Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear that your crafting is helping you through the loss of your adorable ponies. Super tag, I've not tried the oxides yet!! Probably best not to as the shelf is already full of the distress inks! (just counted 40 of those!!!) Hope you enjoy your "Discovering Hope in the Psalms" book. The Psalms are quite inspirational. God Bless and Thanks for the visit. BJ#8

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear about your ponies Ali, that must have been really difficult for you. Glad your crafting helps you though - I've been thinking about the Distress Oxides too, but resisited temptation so far. However, we're off to Ally Pally on Sunday, so that may all change quite soon ... :o) Annie C #17

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your two ponies, Ali. Having lost our 2 old kitties only 3 weeks apart, I know how bereft you must be feeling - they become so much part of your life, don't they. Our new kittens have gone a long way towards filling the gap, though! I also have Distress Oxides in my studio but not yet in my life haha - they are still in the packaging they arrived in, months ago! I decided I must finish my Infusions album before starting on them and it's all taking much longer than anticipated! Infusions are so much fun and I know you'd enjoy them too. Thank you for your lovely comment! We are making slow progress with the clicker training - Ruby gets confused as to what she's supposed to do with each command! They both seem to enjoy it, though. I laughed at your remark about how your cats have trained you rather than vice versa lol lol! After an extremely busy week I am now feeling very exhausted so I am glad that this week looks a bit quieter so I can rest and catch up a bit.

    Happy belated WOYWW,
    Shoshi #35

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x